I am very lucky to have started my career as a performer so I know what it feels like to be in your shoes! Whilst I was performing professionally people began asking me to help with their auditions and I realized my passion lay in enabling singers to dramatically improve their technique and performance across all genres – contemporary pop and rock and musical theatre.
It is extremely moving when I see one of the hundreds of performers I have tutored to get into drama school or land their first professional gig.
I have always been fascinated by music and performance, studying oboe, piano, theory of music and I sang with the Chapel Royal Choir at Hampton Court Palace.
1981 I trained in musical theatre at Redroofs Theatre School; after graduating I trod the boards professionally in The Rocky Horror Show, Godspell, Pantomimes, Operas (Ambrosia Chorus) and cabaret shows etc.
1989 I began helping friends and colleagues with their audition songs and decided to continue studies in music and singing techniques at Goldsmiths University Graduating with Bmus, whilst teaching groups and solo classes privately and at various drama schools; Guild Hall School of Music and Drama, Italia Conti, Sylvia Young and Redroofs Theatre School.
1993 During my last year at university I was asked to appear on the Big Breakfast and I continued to work on many other TV shows in theUK, Switzerland and Germany.
Pupils who have trained with me regularly appear in major West End musicals, Pantomimes, recorded albums and TV shows. Their credits include, Hair, Grease, Beautiful, Sunset Boulevard, Les Misérables, In The Heights, Kinky Boots, Cats, Mamma Mia, Fame , Martin Guerre, Joseph, Phantom of the Opera, Chess, West Side Story, Tommy, Enter the Guardsman, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Oklahoma, Passion, Oklahoma, Miss Saigon, Spend Spend Spend, Rent, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, American Idiot, Buddy, Starlight Express, Annie, Lend me a Tenor, Dreamboats and Petticoats, Dirty Dancing, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The King and I, Footloose, We Will Rock You, Wicked, The Sound of Music, Avenue Q, Thriller Live, The Rat Pack, Matilda, The mousetrap,Jersey boys,& Juliet, The Windsors Endgame,,Showstoppers, Multiverse, Aladdin (film) Cabaret, Dancing in the Streets and many more ……….
I have taught in Holland, Germany, Switzerland, Greece, Mallorca, Chile, Ireland and Dubai
Celebrity clients include Amelia Lily, Natalie Imbruglia, Tracy-Ann Oberman, Dawn Porter, David Ginola, Laura Paussini, Kirsty Young, Denise Welsh, Josie Lawrence, Greg Wallace, Cheryl Baker, Kevin Woodford and Billy Bragg etc…
During a 1 hour lesson, students will work on specific singing exercises and songs to develop your own voice and style, increase your vocal strength and develop your vocal muscles, your voice will get a personnel workout. Singer songwriters are encouraged to bring their own original songs to solve any technical issues. I have an extensive library of musical theatre, pop and rock songs appropriate for your voice, age and personality, so you are prepared for your auditions or performances. We need to balance technique, style, emotion and acting. Let us find repertoire that is suitable and explore the text together
"I have witnessed Roberts work with students at showcases and in my own shows, he has a positive approach to teaching and enables students to reach the height of their potential"
Derek Nicol ( Managing Director Flying Music )
• Good singing habits how to keep the voice healthy - how to manage lifestyle habits.
• Controlling nerves and anxiety.
• Rectifying any bad habits.
• Technical and constructive help to support performances - breath control - support – posture and vocal onset.
• Specific exercises to develop vocal range through the registers while keeping its unique character and tone.
• Ear training – tuning – how to listen!
• How to be true to the text – acting – articulation – expression – feeling.
• Audition preparation and personal presentation– advice on repertoire, cutting songs, what to wear - Writing your CV– headshots.
• Preparation and advice on how to survive tours and gigs.
• Advice on career at all levels including university and drama school.
• Liaising with performers’ agents and management when required
• Helping and advicing on any problems that may need an ENT specialist.